Are you facing problems while logging into your TikTok account? Then, you’ve landed on the right page. Well, there is no doubt that TikTok is among the most popular social media. But the problem arises when you are stuck in the middle of accessing your account. After a while, you will get frustrated looking at those error messages like ‘Couldn’t log in’ or ‘Too many attempts. Try again later.’, ‘Incorrect account or password,’ ‘Time out. Please try again’, ‘There is a small problem with the server; fixing it now.’ However, you should fix them as soon as possible because it might be hard to resolve the issues if you leave them as it is. Here, in this article, we’ll discuss the TikTok login issues and its solutions.
TikTok is changing how your social media works, even if you’re avoiding it. TikTok (Douyin) is a China-based video-focused social networking service owned by Chinese company ByteDance Ltd. It hosts a variety of short videos from different genres like pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes, dance, and entertainment with 15- to 10 minutes duration. TikTok attracts users as it is convenient, easier to edit and upload the contents, and unique, which is hard to find. A key element to the app’s success is the love of music by all age groups. People are always looking for new things to explore, and TikTok is best at this. It might not be wrong to say that TikTok is rewriting the world.
Despite its popularity, users can face severe login issues that should not be neglected. TikTok login problems can be caused due to some internal technical glitches, server issues, browser issues, or other reasons. Though many possible reasons lead to such difficulties, you can see some solutions to this login issues.
Now, let’s look at some of the TikTok login issues first.
TikTok Login Issues
TikTok may be fun to use, but you can get easily frustrated if it won’t let you log in. It might get serious if this login problem continues, and you won’t be able to get back to your account, which you’ve been using for several years. TikTok provides you with both website options and an app to access your account. You just need your username and password to access your account. Actually, it is scarce to see the errors unless you misplaced some details while logging in, or perhaps the server is down. That’s why it is crucial to find the main root of your issues and fix them immediately. Keep trying the next solution if the first one doesn’t resolve your problem. So, here we’ve listed some major TikTok login issues in this section.
Incorrect account or password
This is one of the main loin problems you may face while logging into your account. Sometimes you may enter the wrong login information, which keeps you from accessing your account. And it is not a new thing to misplace some letters when you fill up your password and username, resulting in an error message ‘Incorrect account or password.’ So, check if you’ve entered the correct information; if not, try entering the correct information to log into your account.
Couldn’t log in
You can see an error ‘Couldn’t log in after you’ve been logged out from your TikTok account. You may get this error while you try to re-login. There are two situations where TikTok logs you out automatically, i.e., if someone else is trying to remove an active device from the app settings or your account has been hacked. In this case, please try to change your account’s password immediately.
Time out. Please try again
In some cases, you may get a message ‘Time out. Please try again’ that indicates a temporary error with your session of the TikTok app. So, try to refresh your session by restarting the app or even your device, which may resolve this issue.
Too many attempts. Try again later
If you’re trying to re-login, TikTok may wrongly identify you as a bot or spam. So, for the next 5 minutes, you will keep getting the ‘Too many attempts. Try again later.’ error message when trying to log in to TikTok. Take a break and try it after some time.
There is a small problem with the server; fixing it now
Sometimes TikTok login issues can indicate their cause, like the ‘There is a small problem with the server, fixing it now.’ error. This means the TikTok server is having some issues and is trying to solve them, preventing you from logging in. For this issue, it would be great if you verify the TikTok server status.
Couldn’t find a TikTok account associated with this username, or The account you entered does not exist
If you’ve lost access to your TikTok account and while trying to recover it, you can see an error message that will pop out on your screen ‘Couldn’t find a TikTok account associated with this username,’ or ‘The account you’ve entered does not exist.’ This error will also appear if you’ve entered an invalid or wrong username that is not on their database.
Couldn’t find a TikTok account associated with this Instagram account
Like the above error message, a similar error, ‘Couldn’t find a TikTok account associated with this Instagram account,’ may pop up when logging in to TikTok using your Instagram account or other social media. It may appear if you try accessing your TikTok account through your Instagram but haven’t linked these two accounts.
Your account was permanently banned
The main issue appears when you can’t log in to TikTok if your account is banned, disabled, or locked. In that case, you may receive an error message, ‘Your account was permanently banned’ if their community guidelines are violated. Thus, try to reach out to TikTok support as soon as possible to identify and fix the account problems, especially if you’ve been wrongly flagged/accused.
Unable to authorize. Please try again later
In some cases, TikTok might refuse to authorize your account credentials when you try to sign in, throwing an error message ‘Unable to authorize. Please try again later.’ So, you can try clearing your cache, uninstalling, and reinstalling your app.
Besides, it can be frustrating when you keep seeing ‘Login Failed’ every time you attempt to sign in to your TikTok Account. This can be due to some technical errors or connection problems.
Solutions for TikTok Login Issues
TikTok is great to spend your leisure time, but you will get stuck due to some login issues. That’s why you need to try every possible solution to fix the problems before it becomes completely impossible to get out from that situation. Here, we’ve listed some possible solutions to solve the above login issues. You can use whichever device you’re using to log into the TikTok app or website on Android, iOS, or for web browsers on macOS or Windows.
Enter correct login credentials
Entering an invalid login credential is one of the main causes for the error ‘Incorrect account or password.’ So, verify if the username and password you’ve entered are correct. Although it may appear to be self-evident, it’s very common for such TikTok login errors to occur intentionally or unintentionally.
Therefore, start by double-checking your username and password before looking for any technical fixes.
While entering your TikTok password, remember to be aware of the caps lock or extra spaces, and try to type your username without @ symbol. Ensure that you’ve not made any spelling or typos errors in your username or password.
Try logging using another method
Apart from logging in through your username and password, you can try multiple ways to access your TikTok account via your phone number, Facebook, Instagram, Google, Apple ID, Twitter, and others.
If you’ve initially created your account using another platform, such as your Facebook, Apple, or Google account, you may only be able to sign in using that particular option.
So, connecting your TikTok account with any of the options like your phone number or other social media accounts is necessary, which can be helpful if you face login issues next time. To link your TikTok account, follow these steps:
- Open your Settings and go to Manage Account.
- Select either Link Account or Phone Number.
- Go to your Profile page and tap on Edit Profile.
- A list of social media options will appear (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube). Choose one of them to link your account.
Reset your TikTok password
If the issue is not due to a wrong password or username, maybe you have forgotten your password. It’s totally understandable if you don’t remember your account password, which can be solved by resetting it. Follow these methods for both Android and iOS to reset your password:
- First, tap on the Sign up button.
- Click on the Log in link at the bottom of the page.
- Select Use phone/email/username.
- Tap on the Email/Username tab from above.
- Then, click on Forget password?
- Choose to reset the password with your Phone number or Email.
- Then, enter the confirmation code you’ve received through an SMS or email and proceed to reset your password.
You can request login help if you forget your password.
- Tap on Profile in the bottom right.
- Tap the three-line icon in the top right.
- Click on Settings and Privacy.
- Go to Report a problem, tap Account and Profile, and log in.
- Follow the steps in the app to submit your problem.
Note: If you’ve joined TikTok using another social media account, you will need to reset the passwords on that network or platform.
Recover your TikTok account
If you’ve lost access to your TikTok account and the error message ‘Couldn’t find a TikTok account associated with this username’ shows on your screen, you should consider recovering your account. When you don’t want to change your account password, you can log in using your phone number, email address, or another linked account.
To recover your account:
- Go to the Sign-Up page.
- Select the Question mark icon from the top-right to visit the Help page.
- Tap on the Logging in option.
- You can either select Phone or Email/Username to recover your account. Choose any of these two tabs and tap on the Next button.
- Then, follow the subsequent on-screen instructions to recover access to your account.
Another way to recover your account is to reach out to TikTok support through their Feedback Form.
Restart and Reboot the TikTok app
Turning your device off and on again can fix small issues like ‘Time out. Please try again.’ When TikTok isn’t working, the same logic applies. Reset your device, and it may instantly solve your login issues. Restarting your device is required to ensure that you have sufficient system resources for the TikTok app to function correctly. Simply press and hold on to the Power button and tap Restart. To restart your TikTok app, close the TikTok app entirely and reopen it. (If you’re using a web browser, try to reload the page.)
To restart your Android:
- Locate the Power button on your Android device.
- Press and hold down the power button until you see Power Options on the screen.
- After that, tap on the Restart button and wait for your device’s screen to turn off completely.
- Now, wait for your device to boot up fully. This step may take several minutes to finish.
To restart your iOS:
- Tap the Power button until you get a Slide to Power Off option on your screen.
- Drag the slider to the right until the screen on your iPhone or iPad turns black.
- Wait at least 10 seconds after turning off your iPhone before pressing and holding the Power button until the Apple logo displays on the screen.
- Now, wait for your device to fully boot up and try logging into your TikTok account.
Clear your cache and cookies
Removing the unnecessary cache and cookies from your TikTok app and browser might help to solve TikTok login issues. The cache saves the details of your profile and the videos you’ve watched on TikTok so that the program loads faster the next time you request it. Hence, clearing the TikTok cache is necessary since it frees up storage space on your device and helps resolve minor difficulties with the app.
To clear TikTok cache from the App settings:
You can quickly erase the app cache from your TikTok app settings. The steps are the same regardless of which mobile device you’re using.
- Launch the TikTok app.
- Click the Me option at the lower-right corner of the screen.
- Then, tap on the three dots from the upper-right to open your Settings and Privacy options.
- Tap the Clear cache option under the Cache and Cellular Data heading.
To clear TikTok cache from the Device settings:
You can also delete the TikTok cache from your device settings. Follow the mentioned steps according to your device.
iOS device settings:
- Open Settings on your mobile phone.
- Scroll down and select Apps.
- Find TikTok and tap on it.
- Click on the Storage option.
- Then, click the Clear data.
- Click on the Clear cache among the options Clear data and Clear cache.
- Now, a confirmation pop-up will come. Click on OK. After that, restart your phone.
Android device settings:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Head over to Apps.
- Choose the Installed Applications.
- Select the TikTok app.
- Then move to the Storage & cache option.
- Tap on Clear Cache.
Further, if you’re accessing TikTok through any web browser, data stored there, like cookies, cache, and other site settings, can hinder your login activity. These are similar to the app cache that helps to load the page quickly. You’ll keep getting the ‘Too many attempts. Try again later,’ ‘Unable to authorize. Please try again later.’ error messages while logging in; this can potentially be fixed by retrying after clearing the site cache and reloading.
If you’re using Chrome, go through these instructions to remove cache and cookies:
- Open Google Chrome on your device.
- Tap on the three-dots or More option from the upper right-hand side.
- Select the More tools option, then tap on Clear browsing data.
- Select a time interval All time to delete all the data.
- Now tick the boxes next to Cookies, other site data, and Cached images and files.
- At last, click on the Clear data button.
To remove cache and cookies on Safari (macOS):
- First, launch the Safari.
- Click Safari and select Preferences from the Menu Bar.
- Select Advanced from the top bar, and tick the box next to the Show Develop menu in the bar.
- Click Develop, and select Empty Caches.
- After that, click Safari and choose Clear History to clear your search history and even more Site Data and Cookies.
- Lastly, click Clear History at the following window.
Check your Internet connection
A slow internet connection can also cause login problems. In this case, the login page will not load correctly and will show an error message like ‘Login failed,’ ‘Couldn’t log in.’ So, it is recommended to check your internet connection and make sure its speed is good enough to solve the problem immediately.
Thus, before accessing your account, see whether your system is properly connected to the strong network or not. If it’s not, switch to a better one and try again to sign in to your account. Switch to the mobile data or private wi-fi network if you’re using the public internet, such as a hotspot or public wi-fi.
Update your TikTok app
An outdated version of any software and browser on your device can create serious problems. Apart from the errors that may occur, it also leads to security threats causing your browser/app to compromise the information. The outdated browsers and applications do not have the latest security patches causing compatibility issues, low performance, compromised passwords, etc., that can be highly vulnerable to hacking. So, it is highly recommended to use only updated apps and browsers.
To update the TikTok app on your Android device:
- Open Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Tap on the Profile icon at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on Manage apps & devices from the list.
- Then, tap on the Manage tab to check for available updates on the apps installed on your device.
- Find TikTok and click on it. Click on the Update button if it needs to be updated or not.
To update the TikTok app on your iOS device:
- Tap on the App Store from your home screen.
- Now, click on the Updates tab, and your device will automatically check for available updates.
- Hit the Update button beside TikTok to install it if the App Store detects an update.
If you’re trying to access TikTok from the browser, you can try closing the browser and re-opening it again. See if your TikTok login issue solves or not. Remember to update your web browsers from time to time.
Try using TikTok on a different device
You can try using a different device to sign in to TikTok, another mobile device, or a computer device. That way, you can identify any problems native to your original device and its configurations that could result in your login errors.
Also, check if you can log in from a different browser or not to see if the issue is down to a particular browser. Sometimes, it is possible that one browser may not have the same problem as another one. Don’t use multiple browsers and devices at a time to log in. Ensure you use only one device or browser to log into your account.
Uninstall and re-install the TikTok app
It is yet another effective solution to fix the TikTok login issues. You can uninstall the TikTok app and re-install it again, especially when your app doesn’t open or if it closes automatically. Uninstall the TikTok app from your App store, settings, or from your home screen.
Moreover, to install the TikTok app again, go to your App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) > search TikTok> TikTok app> Install. Once the installation is complete, open the TikTok app and try to log in to your account to check it out.
Check TikTok server status
If the issue is within the TikTok server, an error message ‘There is a small problem with the server, fixing it now.’ will appear while logging in. So, check the status of their servers by going on the Downdetector webpage for TikTok. You can look at the status, comments, and live map to check which areas and app features are affected. If this is the case, you can’t do anything about it but wait.
However, if their servers are running properly, the problem may be with your device or others. So, try another solution to fix your issue.
Reset the Network settings
As mentioned above, a network connection error might affect your login process on any account. So, resetting the network setting can help some users to log in again. When you reset the network settings, it will clear all the network information (saved wi-fi connection, passwords, configured VPNs, and so on) stored on your device. This ensures that all this data can be collected and reconfigured again for a clean and error-free connection.
To reset network settings on an iOS device:
- Launch your Settings from the home screen.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Reset at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- After you restart your iPhone and try logging into TikTok again.
To reset network settings on Android:
- Open Settings on your Android device.
- Scroll down and tap on General management or System, depending on what device you have.
- Tap on the Reset or Reset options.
- Again, tap Reset network settings.
- Confirm that you want to reset your network settings.
- Your device will restart. Once it does, your network settings will have been cleared and reset.
Disable Any VPN Services
Sometimes using a VPN or proxy server can stuck you with login issues. VPNs work by randomly changing your IP address; your device may have difficulty connecting with TikTok’s servers. In this case, TikTok cannot verify your credentials which hinders you from logging into your account.
If you’re using one, you might need to disable them before accessing the TikTok platform again. To disable VPN on your Windows:
- Press the Win + R keys on the keyboard to open the Run window and type appwiz.cpl in the search box. Then, click OK or hit the Enter key to open Programs and Features.
- In the Programs and Features window, scroll down to find the VPN client.
- Then, right-click the VPN and select Uninstall.
- After that, reboot your computer to check whether your error is fixed.
To disable the proxy server:
- Press the Win + R keys on the keyboard to open the Run window, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box, and then hit Enter to open the Internet Properties window.
- Go to the Connections tab and then click the LAN Settings button.
- After opening Local Area Network (LAN) Settings, uncheck the Use a proxy server for your LAN box and then click OK.
After disabling the proxy server, please reboot your computer and try to use TikTok again to see if the problem is resolved.
Contact TikTok Support
Some TikTok login issues like ‘Your account was permanently banned’ and ‘The account you’ve entered does not exist.’ may not be solved with the above simple solutions. You can go to the TikTok support page or Contact TikTok Support. To report a problem:
- Go to the Sign-Up page.
- Select the Question mark icon from the top-right to visit the Help page.
- Tap on the Notepad icon at the top-right to open the feedback section.
- Again, select the Notepad icon at the top-right again to create a new feedback form.
- Now, briefly explain the log in the issue you’re facing. Mention details like error messages, when the issue began occurring, solutions you’ve tried, etc. You can even paste a screenshot of the error to give them a better idea of the problem.
- Tap on Report.
You can directly go to [email protected] or [email protected] to report a problem, whereas for general feedback, visit [email protected]. You can get in touch with TikTok support through social networking sites on Facebook (@tiktok), Instagram (@tiktok), or Twitter (@TikTokSupport).
Thus, look at the TikTok login issues like incorrect account or password and time out. Please try again; login failed, couldn’t log in, too many attempts, and others. Also, look at some possible solutions to solve the login issues. We hope this article has helped you so far.